Skip to Main Content

Can Anyone File a Criminal Complaint Against Me?

100% ConfidentialFreeNo Obligation

The short answer is yes. However, there are specific steps and criteria that must be met for the complaint to move forward. A criminal complaint is a formal accusation made against a person, alleging that they have committed a specific crime. The process can be initiated by law enforcement, but private citizens also have the right to seek a criminal complaint. In Massachusetts, this process is the preliminary step in bringing a matter before the court to seek resolution.

The Initial Step: Filing an Application

The journey of a criminal complaint in Massachusetts begins when an individual approaches the district court expressing the desire to file a complaint. This step is crucial and requires careful consideration because it involves the legal system in personal disputes or allegations of criminal behavior. The individual filing the complaint must complete an application that outlines the nature of their grievance, identifying specific criminal statutes they believe have been violated. The complainant must provide a factual basis for their allegations, supported by evidence where possible. This is not merely a formality; it is a preliminary filter that aims to weed out baseless or frivolous complaints before they consume judicial resources.

It’s not too late


The Clerk Magistrate Hearing

Central to this process is the Clerk Magistrate Hearing. The hearing serves as a foundational pillar in the criminal complaint process, designed to assess the merit of each complaint before it progresses. A Clerk Magistrate Hearing is characterized by its non-public nature and less formal proceedings, yet it holds the power to significantly impact the lives of those involved. The hearing brings together the complainant, the accused, and the clerk magistrate. The defendant is allowed to bring private legal counsel. The determination at the CMH is probable cause. This standard—asking whether the evidence suggests it’s more probable than not that the accused committed the alleged offense—serves as a gatekeeper, ensuring that only those complaints with a substantive basis progress to the formal courts.

Decision-Making and Its Aftermath

A Clerk Magistrate Hearing’s standard is probable cause.  Following the hearing, the clerk magistrate decides based on the evidence presented. This decision can have several outcomes:

  1. Dismissal: If the magistrate finds insufficient evidence, the complaint is dismissed, ending the matter at this early stage.
  2. Issuance of a Complaint: If probable cause is found, the magistrate will issue the complaint, leading to formal charges and the initiation of the criminal process.
  3. Alternative Resolution: In some instances, the magistrate might suggest or pursue alternative resolutions.

Act: Secure Expert Legal Defense

If you find yourself or a loved one the subject of a criminal complaint, it’s crucial to have experienced legal representation by your side. Our team of criminal defense attorneys, at Nate Amendola Defense, is well-versed in Massachusetts law and has a proven track record of advocating for our clients’ best interests. Let us help you understand your options, prepare your case, and work towards the most favorable outcome. Contact our office at 7816506785 or through an online chat to set up a free consultation.

It’s Not Too Late

Let Us Review Your Case





Nate Amendola contact

Your First and Last Call

Nate Amendola

It's not too late


It's not too late